No Christmas dinner will be complete without the proper side dishes, and this perfect combination of crispy bacon and Brussels sprouts is guaranteed to complement any Christmas meal. If you have trouble convincing your loved ones to eat Brussels sprouts with Christmas dinner, this year why not refresh this old favorite and wow your guests by adding crispy bacon to the mix. With this simple recipe, you will be able to jazz up your Brussels sprouts in no time.
• 3 pounds cleaned Brussels sprouts
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 8 thick slices bacon (about 8 ounces), cut into ½ inch strips
• 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
• Freshly ground black pepper
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt it generously.
2. While the water is coming to a boil, trim off the ends of the Brussels sprouts and remove any loose leaves.
3. Cut each Brussels sprouts in half and add to the boiling water.
4. Cook uncovered for approximately 6 minutes until the sprouts are tender
5. Drain the sprouts and set aside
6. Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the bacon. Cook on low heat, stirring occasionally, until the bacon begins to crisp
7. Increase the heat to medium-high, add the Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring occasionally, until they brown and the edges get crisp about 10 minutes.
8. Stir in the vinegar, salt, pepper, and remove from heat.
9. Serve warm.
These crispy Brussels sprouts and bacon go great with any meat dish on Christmas. If you are looking for a vegetarian alternative you can substitute the bacon with 200g of chestnuts. Simply chop the chestnuts and fry them in a pan until browned and add the Brussels sprouts to that. The chestnuts are packed full of minerals and protein and add a delicious festive flavor to the Brussels sprouts.